Date: Sat, 15 Sept 2001 18:14:07 +0000 (GMT)
From: Lawrence Manning firstname.lastname@example.org
To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: [users] 0.9.9 available
You all know already, but this is the “formal” announcement.
You can get it from:
The highlights of enhancements over 0.9.8 are:
- Support for 14 languages, including: German, French, Afrikaans, Finnish, Swedish and Italian.
- New, vastly improved, UI.
- Support for USB ADSL using Alcatel modems.
- Support for PPPoE.
- Dial on Demand for ISDN and modems. ISDN also features bandwidth on demand, for automatic bringing up of the second channel when it is needed.
- PPTP passthrough for accessing Windows VPNs from the LAN.
- New Squid, high performance, web proxy.
- Keyboard/Timezone selectors.
- Better DMZ support. Servers on ORANGE are accessible from GREEN. Pinholes can be setup to allow ORANGE to access GREEN in a restricted way, for example, for use in webmail setups where mail server is on the local network.
- Install updates via the web, even on remote smoothies, with an easy to use update system.
- Access the web interface via HTTPS.
- External access configuration page: restrict access to local ports by IP.
- Better portforwarding. Because incoming connections go through the external access rules, you can restrict forwarded to ports to a range of IPs. UDP portforwarding has been added.
- Web based VPN setup. Setup multiple VPN tunnels from the web. Export configurations and re-import on other SmoothWalls to setup networks of tunnels from a single desktop using just a browser.
- Better log management. Export logs. All log views are paginated so a range of events is viewable at a time.
- Firewall log has the ability to look up IPs, both in the form of a reverse DNS lookup and the RIPE info.
- IDS using snort. No setup required. Log viewer for viewing events.
- Dynamic DNS support for 5 popular dynamic DNS services.
- Everything else that I’ve forgotten
Development Team Leader and Author – SmoothWall
Email: `cat thismail|formail -z -x From:`